White sweet potato fills in for the flour, you can add a dash of cream if desired.
- 1 large white sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock with fat, divided
- pan drippings from the turkey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- The day before Thanksgiving, simmer the sweet potato in a small saucepan until soft (about 15 minutes).
- Drain, cool and place in refrigerator uncovered overnight to dry out.
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer, reserve 1 cup for deglazing.
- Using an immersion blender, add sweet potato a little bit at a time to achieve desired thickness.
- Once the turkey has been roasted and removed from the oven, deglaze the roasting pan with 1 cup of chicken stock, strain and add to gravy.
- Salt to taste and keep warm on stove.
- If the gravy separates, blend before serving.