Better with Thyme is a family farm, inspired by permaculture ideals and focused on intentional living
Moving from the NYC area, our family purchased farmland in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. We are building our dream from the ground up, creating a place that regenerates both the land and the people and animals who live on it.
We are developing the land in a way that allows children who are self-directed learners to participate and shape the environment as partners with the adults. We are looking for one or two other families who share our values of permaculture, non-violent communication and self-directed education to live with us. If you’re interested, please contact us!
Currently at the farm
Our farm is primarily pasture and we have begun to add gardens, a small orchard and shade/nut trees as well as starting to manage the wooded areas of the farm.
We are raising a variety of animals and our goal is to blend the pasture and wooded areas into a silvopasture style agroforestry system, that will provide most our family’s food and extra to share.
Organic, permaculture management
If you’re like us, you probably want to know whether the farm you’re buying from is going to provide the healthiest possible food and/or livestock. We are not certified by any third parties, but you are welcome to ask us any question you have about our land and animal management and we will be happy to answer.
- Our farm had been used for cut hay for 15 years prior to us buying it, so there were no monoculture crops or spraying on our property long enough for any previous chemicals to likely have broken down.
- Since we took over managing this farm we have been working on building biodiversity in the soil, plants and animals to make a cohesive, healthy and whole system, without any imports.
- We don’t spray anything on our plants or add anything to our soil besides the nutrients from breaking down plants and animal manure.
- We feed our animals from our land as much as possible and any feed we purchase from off site is certified organic and free from both corn and soy.
- We also offer our animals sea salt and minerals. The only material we have added in our gardens is cedar mulch and wood chips.