Get nutrients from food whenever possible. Humans are adapted to getting nutrients from whole foods. The synergistic co-factors required for proper absorption are not included in synthetic vitamins with isolated nutrients.
Take nutrients in their naturally occurring form whenever possible. Synthetic, isolated nutrients don’t always have the same effect on the body. Industrial processing sometimes creates an entirely new compound with different physiological actions.
Be selective with your supplementation. The problem with multivitamins is that they contain too little of the beneficial nutrients like magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin K2, and too much of potentially toxic nutrients like folic acid, calcium, iron and vitamin E. This means that multivitamins can actually cause nutrient imbalances that contribute to disease.
No matter how well we eat, some nutrients are difficult to obtain enough of from food alone. The five nutrients I recommend most people supplement with are:
- Vitamin A: Obtain from organ meats. Illuminize helps reduce eye strain, protects eyes from damaging blue light, and maintains vibrant skin. 120 count lasts 4 months.
- Vitamin D: Obtain from food and sunshine. Test your levels and adjust supplementation. Super D supports the body’s respiratory system, immune system, bone growth, and hormone production with vegan-friendly vitamin D and a blend of premium essential oils. 120 count lasts 4 months.
- Vitamin K2: Obtain from pastured dairy and pastured egg yolks. Cardiogize supports heart health with CoQ10 and healthy vascular function with vitamin K2.
- Magnesium: Hard to obtain from food, magnesium levels in food have dropped as modern soils have become increasingly depleted. If you’re not supplementing with magnesium, you’re probably not getting enough. Mineral Essence is a balanced, full-spectrum ionic mineral complex enhanced with essential oils that contains magnesium as well as over 60 other minerals. Ionic minerals are the most fully and quickly absorbed form of minerals available.
- Vitamin C: difficult to obtain adequate levels of vitamin C from the diet. Super C not only contains 2,166% of the recommended dietary intake of vitamin C per serving, but also contains supporting ingredients to enhance the effectiveness and absorption of vitamin C.
When you click the purchase link for this bundle you can chose which supplements you need. In addition to the five supplements most people need, Life 9 probiotic for digestion support and Inner Defense for immune support are great additions. Young Living also offers many other supplement options for foundational nutrition, targeted nutrition and cleansing. If you would like a customized supplement bundle created for you, we’d love to help guide you, just let us know!
If you want to go deeper on this topic, check out the source of the recommended types of nutrients: 9 Steps to Perfect Health – #4: Supplement Wisely by Chris Kresser.